Our BAP Disability Network held its October meeting in RehabCare Bray. We were delighted to welcome new members from Autism Initiatives Wicklow. As well as sharing information on how we can all work together more effectively to meet the needs of people with disabilities in the local area, members discussed:
- Upcoming meeting with elected Bray and Greystones councillors, following on from our 'speed lobby' of candidates by people with disabilities in May. At the meeting people with disabilities who are involved in network member groups will present to councillors on issues under the areas of Accessibility & Transport; Education & Training; Employment; and Housing & Accommodation, and present their Key Asks for action they want to see councillors take.
- Update on schools that want to host our Disability Awareness Workshops, which involve young adults with disabilities presenting about their lives and facilitating.
- Local issues for people with disabilities and what actions the network can take to address them.
- Completing input into, and launching, the new Disability Bray website.
- Collaborative work and information-sharing.