- network, discuss common issues, support one another and work together more effectively;
- identify local service gaps and policy issues that need addressing;
- take joint action to promote the full and equal participation of people with disabilities in the local community.
The work of the group is supported by Bray Area Partnership staff under the Partnership's SICAP programme.
Over the years the group has taken a range of positive actions - from policy work and research on important issues at local and national level to addressing gaps in local services and initiating the set-up of new services and projects.
Highlighting local issues has also led to further action at a national level - such as when research carried out by the network on the placement of younger people with disabilities in nursing homes in the Bray and Greystones area was picked up by the Disability Federation of Ireland, who rolled out this research nationwide and published a report in 2018: The situation of younger people with disabilities living in nursing homes in Ireland. This issue has since been taken up by the Ombudsman, who has published a report, Wasted Lives in May 2021, with a range of recommendations.
Recent projects of the network have included:
- Fun interactive Disability Awareness workshops in local schools, delivered by young people with disabilities;
- Collaborative work to re-develop the Disability Bray website;
- Disability Speed Lobbies of Local and General Election candidates for Bray by people with disabilities who are members and service-users of local groups and services.
- Events such as our Big Chat With Councillors, where presentations on different issues for people with disabilities were given to councillors.
- Input into the new Wicklow County Council Disability & Inclusion Steering Committee
Disability network members come from these organisations:
- Autism Initiatives Wicklow
- Cairdeas Clubhouse members
- Caring and Sharing Bray (CASA)
- Disability Federation of Ireland
- EmployAbility Bray
- Festina Lente
- Lakers Social and Recreational Club CLG
- National Learning Network Bray
- Open Door Day Centre
- RehabCare Bray
- St. Margaret's Donnybrook
- Wicklow Triple A Alliance
For more information about the work of this group contact Michelle at the Partnership on 01 286 8266 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.